The Whanganui River Freedom Package includes:
- Two nights’ accommodation (selection of accommodation options Lodge or Units)
- Two breakfasts (one fully cooked one continental)
- Packed lunch with morning and afternoon tea
- Return shuttle service from Adventure Lodge to the Whanganui River at Whakahoro
- 1-Day full day Kayak on the Whanganui River in the Whanganui National Park
- Kayak hire, Includes – paddles, ropes, bailers, life jackets, plastic bags, paddling/river reading instructions and maps
- One two course dinner (after your relaxing spa)
Essentials to bring
- Change of dry clothes
- Warm clothing for the jet boat ride back
- Sunglasses Sunhat and Sunscreen
From Whakahoro to Ohauora about 27ks, One of the most scenic parts on the Whanganui River.
The shuttle service picks up from 8-8.30am and brings you down to the Whakahoro base. Over morning tea, you can soak up the relaxing atmosphere of the Whakahoror valley and this is when we discuss the finer details of your river paddle.
Entry into the Whanganui river is from the Whakahoro jet boat ramp, which is situated on the Retaruke River. There is about 300m of this river to paddle (good for practicing), before turning left onto the Whanganui River.
The Whanganui National Park starts here and so does the best scenery the park has to offer. Approximately 2 hours (11kms) downstream is the Mangapapa campsite the half way point and a good place to stop for lunch. As with all DoC campsites, Mangapapa has a water supply, toilets, tables and shelter.
The Ohauora campsite is about another 3 hours (17kms) further downstream and is the cut off point for your paddle. Don’t worry if you don’t make it this far as this day excursion is designed as a relaxed paddle with the option of stopping and exploring the many beaches.
The jet boat departs Whakahoro at 3:30 pm and will pick you up at the point you have reached between Whakahoro and Ohauora. After having experienced the quiet and slow flow of the river, this ride is refreshing and exhilarating.
The return shuttle departs around 6:00 pm and will deliver you back to Adventure Lodge in time for a spa and dinner.
- Budget Lodge (Quad)
- Budget Lodge (Double)
- Standard (Queen)
- Deluxe (King)
* per person on a twin or quad share basis all inclusive
Check your accommodation options Double or Quad Lodge or Standard Deluxe units or our other packages Tongariro Freedom Package or both at Adventure National Parks Package.